Wish you all a Very Happy New Year !!!. May all your dreams come true in the New Year !!
So here is my first post in 2010. Though Some of posts are becoming like a Travelogue i believe its worth writing because of the enjoyment I had in theses places.
Last Thursday I was just mentioning about Hogenakkal to Stalin( My Colleague and Friend) at . He immediately asked me, " shall we go tomorrow?". I readily agreed.
We started around 8 .30 AM in Bangalore ( in Bus) and we took the route which should not be taken in the bus. We reached Hogenakkal around 1.30 PM.
Usually the way is Bangalore - Hosur- Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri- Pennagaram- Hogenakkal.
It takes around 4 to 4.30 Hrs to reach the place.
We took the way like Bangalore- Hosur-Royakottai-Palakodu-Pennagaram-Hogenakkal.
Though this route is shorter the buses usually stops at all these places for unusual time and makes your trip boring. The Former one is a NH7 till Dharmapuri, so you can have a comfortable ride in Car or in a Bus.
I believe we must have our own vehicle to reach there and it won't take more than 3 hours.
Things to do:
1. Coracle Ride: You should go for Coracle Ride . You can have a unforgettable time there if you are a first time visitor.
2. View from Hanging Bridge: You can have a fantastic view of the falls from the Hanging Bridge.
3. Oil Massage: You can try Oil Massage if you feel comfortable.
4. Bath: Main Falls and Cine Falls: these are the two falls available there. Main falls is fantastic. Cine falls is also good.
5. Fish Food: You can ask the Local women there to prepare Fish Fry and Fish Curry with
Rasam and Rice.
All the Five above mentioned items are must to do according to me.
As soon as you reach , People will start circling you for Coracle Ride, Oil Massage and Food Preparation. You should have good negotiating skills to get a better deal.
For coracle Ride settle for 60 Rs or 70 Rs per head for the full ride ( till Karnataka border).
You should also get tickets for Rs 10 per head. I believe you should not pay more. We did settle for Rs 60 , but at last we paid Rs 70 ourselves.
For Normal Massage it is 50 and for special Massage it is Rs 100. I went for special Massage for 100. If you are a group 4 or 5, you can negotiate. you may get 80 Rs per Head.
There will be many Local Women preparing Fish Fry and Food. You can ask them to prepare Fish Fry as well as Fish Curry. You can choose the fish you like in the market and hand over it to those women to prepare food. We bought 2.5 Kg of Fish for around Rs 300 and paid Rs 4o0 for the Rice, Fish Curry, Fish Fry and Rasam . This we paid for 5 people.They will buy the ingredients and prepare. this is not only for preparation.
I believe if you are visiting Hogenakkal, If you don't eat fish there, I would say its like visiting a temple, but not praying the presiding deity of the temple.
The place is not really hygienic, but it is a must to do at Hogenakkal.You can find a better place there to sit and eat
Some people complain that the place is not really hygenic. I also agree with it. Even I had this Question till I took bath.
Once I took a refreshing bath, I felt, If I keep talking like this, then Whats the fun in life??.
Explore and Enjoy whats available at any place instead of complaining.
My Itinerary would be:
1.Start Banagalore by 6 AM & reach Dharmapuri around 9 PM.
2.Please find Hotel Ponni near the Bus stand for Breakfast for Real Tamilnadu Style Idli, Dosai, Poori and Pongal. If you go by bus this is a must to do.
3.There are plenty of buses to reach Hogenakkal from there.Reach Hogenakkal around 11 AM.
4. Go for Coracle Ride .This would take around 1 to 1.30 hours ( Pics and Views on the way)
5. In the mean time , you should also find a women to prepare Fish Food.Negotiate a deal, buy fish and ask her to prepare food. This I believe you should even before you go for coracle ride.
6. Once the coracle ride is over, Go for Oil Massage, Wait for more than 30 Min to get the full benefit of Oil massage, and take bath.
7. So around 2 to 3 PM, you can go for Lunch.
8. Then you can go for Hanging Bridge and also walk to the other side of the bridge if you wish too.
9. You can leave the place by around 6 PM.
10. You can come home for Dinner.
Take as much as time you wish to do every single Activity
When I went there first time, My friend in Hosur arranged everything. Fish Fry was ready and a man was waiting there to take us for the coracle ride. It was so good. As soon as we reached there, we bought Fish for curry and handed over it to the women. Fish fry was already ready and took the fish fry for coracle ride, while riding we also enjoyed the fish.
This time, My friend reached there an hour earlier and had a deal for Fish Food with the help of a Local Friend.
I took a wonderful bath and prayed My Favorite GOD "Lord Murugan" there on river shore near the falls ( there was a small temple).
I started my New Year with refreshing thoughts and full energy.
I wish I go there at least once in every 6 months.
You will never forget the fish food there and It will make you to visit the place next time.
People will never get bored there and always wants to go there next time.
Have a Happy trip to Hogenakkal !!!